TheBoxbreakers.com Sportscard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Card Collecting Confessions...

4 posters

Go down

Card Collecting Confessions... Empty Card Collecting Confessions...

Post by TheBoxbreakers Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 am

Ok, so it was 35 years ago but after reading some posts about resealing packs I remembered this incident and decided to finally come clean.

It was 1975 and I was invited to Gale Gilkins Birthday party (I was 9 years old). I didn't have alot of money back then (still don't actually) so I was pretty limited in what gift I could buy for him but I knew Gale was a huge OJ Simpson fan. I decided I would buy 3 packs of FB cards in hopes that he would get a Simpson card but the more I thought about it I figured it would be pretty anticlimatic if he didn't...so what to do? Well, I happened to have a 1975 Simpson card in my modest collection (remember that one -- great in action photo) so I got the idea that I would open the wax wrapper enough to slip my Simpson card in it and press it back shut again.

So I did.

We move to the party and Gale rips open the first two packs with a few guys he's heard of but nothing special. But with a knowing smile I hand over the 3rd pack which he rips open and there staring at him on top of the stack is a (almost) brand new OJ Simpson card! He freaks and my day is made. But now for the irony (as all stories need a touch of irony - but this twist is true). He looks through the rest of the pack and there in the middle is another OJ Simpson card!

So now Gale Gilkins goes through life with the story about the day he pulled two OJ Simpson cards from one pack... you go Gale!

That was the beginning and yes...the end of my pack resealing days but I felt after 35 years I'd come clean out of respect for the hobby and my peers that partake in it. I can only hope that you forgive my transgressions. No

Card Collecting Confessions... 500_O.J._Simpson_football_card

TheBoxbreakers

http://www.theboxbreakers.com

Back to top Go down

Card Collecting Confessions... Empty Re: Card Collecting Confessions...

Post by mcfly Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I'm Guilty of searching for the thicker packs in open boxes at target and walmart. I used to do it for the chance of a hit, Now I'll be honest I do buy regular packs of cards but I still purposely grab the thick packs for the decoys. They make shipping my trades so much easier. Let the flaming begin on my part I'm sorry.

mcfly

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfderfy Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm

mcfly.. I think everyone has gone for a thicker pack a time or two. Smile

I think my only confession is that I'm fickle with what to collect, and it doesn't help that I've sold 3 collections so far to pay for this, that, or another needed thing and... Regret it each time. Hate starting from zero again.
nerfderfy
nerfderfy

Back to top Go down

Post by pudge27t Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 am

lol.. thats a good story!
Its really cool to hear stories of someone who actually collected "back in the day"... because when i tell my dad about me collecting, he always brings up the stories of using them on his bicycle! yikes!! Shocked
pudge27t
pudge27t

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down